It’s true, I’ve gone 10 years as a recipe creator and never once dived into the realm of hot cross buns… not because I don’t love them (I really love them!!), but more because there are already so many good recipes out there. I only want to create content that adds VALUE!
Well this year (after some serious nagging!) I’ve taken to task, and created and delicious and dense egg-free and dairy-free Easter bun, and I’m really impressed with the results! Jam-packed with dried fruit and delicious spices, these buns are much more complex than your standard supermarket offering… the ‘plush’ version!
They also use all pantry-staple ingredients meaning you can whip these up at a pinch, no matter what the time of year!
This recipe is vegetarian, nut free and can be made dairy free, vegan, and soy free. The recipe yields 12 buns.
3 tsp dried yeast
100g raw or rapadura sugar
250g milk of choice
80g olive oil
5 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp fine salt
450g baker’s flour
180g combined weight of mixed sultanas, raisins and currants
50g apricot jam (optional)
1. Place yeast, sugar and milk in TC bowl, heat for 3 minutes, 37°C, speed 2. Allow to stand in TC bowl for 10 minutes.
2. Add oil, spice, salt and flour, mix for 6 seconds, speed 6.
3. Knead dough for 2 minutes, dough function, while slowly adding the fruit through the hole in the lid. Transfer mixture to an oiled bowl, cover and allow to double in size, approx. 1 – 2 hours (ensure to put in a warm spot or use the warmer function on your oven).
4. Once doubled in size, remove dough from bowl and divide into 12 pieces.
5. Roll each into a tight ball, tucking the dough underneath to create tension.
6. Arrange buns on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a baking mat, allowing minimum 1cm space between each. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake buns for 25 minutes.
8. Place jam and water in TC bowl, heat for 3 minutes, 70°C, speed 2. Once buns are out of the oven, brush with apricot jam glaze.
Allow to cool on a wire tray for a minimum of 15 minutes before serving.
The apricot glaze in step 6 is totally optional but will give your buns that shiny top!
Find more of Alyce’s fantastic whole food Thermomix recipes on her website.