Recipe thanks to wellnourished.com.au
This healthy grain salad is a filling salad which is great for a mid-week meal or entertaining a crowd, it’s just so delicious. The combination of rice, lentils, nuts and seeds ensure it is a ‘complete protein’ and a very nourishing plant-based meal or side.
This recipe serves 4
1 cup uncooked brown rice
¾ cup uncooked puy (also called French) lentils
1 red onion peeled, halved & sliced
¼ cup pepitas, toasted
¼ cup flaked or slivered almonds, toasted
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup currants
3 tbsp baby capers, drained
1 bunch coriander or mint leaves, washed & picked off the stems
½ bunch parsley leaves, finely chopped
Yoghurt & tahini sauce
1 cup unsweetened greek yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt if vegan)
1 tbsp tahini
1 tsp salt
1. Begin with cooking the rice and lentils.
2. To cook the lentils, rinse them, put them in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a rapid simmer 30 mins or until cooked through. Strain and set aside.
3. To cook the brown rice, place in a small pot with 1½ cups of water, bring to the boil then cover and reduce to a slow steady simmer for 30 mins. Remove the lid and allow to sit for 10 mins before fluffing with a fork.
4. Allow to cool and place the rice and lentils in a salad bowl.
5. Once cool, add the onion, nuts, seeds, currants, capers, coriander and parsley. Toss together until well combined.
6. For the dressing, mix the oil, lemon juice and zest together well.
7. For the yoghurt and tahini sauce, mix the ingredients together in a small serving bowl or jug until combined.
8. Prior to serving, dress the salad and toss well to coat the grains.
9. Serve with the yoghurt and tahini sauce (I serve it on the side so each person can add it as they like).
You can prepare this ahead of time and simply combine and dress just before serving. Leftovers are also lovely the next day.
Georgia’s website, Well Nourished, is full of delicious, wholefood recipes, blog articles around health and wellness so much more.
Share your beautiful wholefood meals with us on Instagram with #myTWC