Recipes that come about when you just trying to be resourceful with random ingredients on hand are the best, aren’t they? Like these PB Popcorn Bars which I wanted to do simply because we had a bit leftover in the PB jar (well bucket…catering) and some popcorn kernels from a kids party we catered.
So easy, so well loved by everyone, with the exception of my partner who looked well left out as I made them and he continued sipping on juice #5 for his juice cleanse that day…moving on.
This recipe is super simple but there is one tiny element that will make or break it and that is the time the peanut butter and honey/rice malt stay on the stove. They need only about a minute so it is a runny enough consistency (it won’t become super runny) to mix through the popcorn and bind it together. I held off posting this recipe until I had retested this component because take your eyes off it and it becomes a separated crumb! You can’t work the crumb into the popcorn to make it a bar, unfortunately (I did try!), so be attentive for this brief moment. It’s really easy otherwise and the rest takes no time at all.
This recipe makes 16 bars, is gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be made vegan.
4 cups cooked popcorn (approx 2 tablespoons kernels)
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
¼ cup honey OR ⅓ cup rice malt syrup
1. Place peanut butter and honey/rice malt in a small saucepan on low heat and whisk together with a fork or whisk until it is slightly runny, be careful not to leave it on the heat too long or it will become a crumby consistency.
2. When ready, place popcorn in a large bowl, pour oven pb and honey/rice malt mix, then mix together using clean hands.
3. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and press the bars into the tin.
4. Cover and place in freezer to set for 2 hours.
5. Once set, slice and serve, they keep out of the fridge or freezer and hold together for about 3 hours.
Jacqueline’s website, The Brown Paper Bag Nutrition, is loaded with healthy, wholefood recipes with a focus on plant-based eating as well as fabulous health, nutrition and lifestyle advice.
Share your favourite whole food treats with us on Instagram with #myTWC