With a base made of Medjool dates mixed with nuts and buckinis and just a thin drizzle of dark chocolate on top, this healthy fudge is perfect guilt-free snack for anytime of day.
It’s easy to choose your own ‘crunch’ too. We love it with peanuts and buckinis but next time we might try rice or quinoa puffs or perhaps granola folded in. You can even skip the the chocolate layer if you’re trying to avoid all refined sugar. And how about throwing in a few cranberries too. Yum!
Whatever you decide for the crunch this delicious healthy treat takes minutes to make but warning, they are highly addictive so think about making a double batch!
This recipe makes 12 medium slices
2.5 cups pitted dates (around 20 Medjool dates)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons buckinis (optional)
1/2 cup peanuts or roughly chopped nuts of your choice like almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, pepitas…
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
80 grams dark chocolate (I used 70% Lindt) which leaves about 2 squares left of the block of chocolate, what you do with those is up to you!)
1. Line a brownie pan with parchment paper (I used ¾ of a 20cm x 20cm pan)
2. Place the pitted dates, coconut oil, vanilla extract and cocoa powder into a food processor. Process until a sticky paste forms and all the dates are puréed, around a minute.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the buckinis and nuts. Mix using your hands until everything is combined.
4. Transfer the date mixture to the pan and press down to desired thickness, but don’t make it too thin.
5. Pop into the freezer to set a little while you melt the chocolate in the next step.
1. Gently melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
2. Once melted grab the date mixture from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate evenly over the date and nut mixture. Place the tray back into the freezer until set, shouldn’t take too long.
3. Remove from the freezer and cut into about 12 medium size squares.
Store and eat directly from the freezer or fridge.