We’re loving our sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) right now and add it to our meals every day. With so many brands on the supermarket shelves why not make your own using the recipe below:
1.5kg shredded white cabbage
½ tsp caraway seeds
3-litre glass or earthenware jar
1. Mix the salt with the shredded cabbage (the more finely shredded the better).
2. Add the mix in layers into your jar and sprinkle with caraway seeds between the layers.
3. Now cover the mix with a plate or saucer that fits into the mouth of the jar and add a weight on top of the plate and, finally, cover with a cloth. The mixture will produce brine so make sure that the plate covering the mixture is fully immersed.
4. Skim the brine every other day and change the plate again. Make sure the plate totally covers the mix at all times.
5. Store the mix at room temperature to begin the fermentation.
6. Test after two weeks. It should be ready between two weeks to one month. When ready, store in a cool place or fridge and enjoy your homemade sauerkraut.
Find more delicious ways to use 180 Nutrition’s incredible protein products on their website.