Alas, we are nearing the end of summer! Although honestly I’m not so phased – autumn is definitely my favourite time of year. Vibrant colours in the garden, beautiful figs, pumpkins, pears, quinces, tomatoes, persimmons and watermelons are at their best all year and the extra rain means I spend a lot less time watering! Lots to look forward to.
But back to summer… corn is peaking, as are zucchinis, berries, peaches, plums, capsicum and chilli. So to celebrate the corn, I’ve got a delicious (and definitely unique!) chilled summer corn soup…. made SO EASY in the Thermomix!
This delicious chilled soup makes the perfect starter for a summer soiree, but works equally well paired with a thick slice of avocado on toast for a quick and casual meal. The sooner the corn is eaten after picking the sweeter it will be, so if you grow your own you are in luck! If not, look for the freshest corn and use it quickly.
This recipe first appeared in TMix+ magazine, devoted to all things Thermomix. Check it out here: tmix+ magazine
This recipe serves 6 as an entree.
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 shallot, peeled
100g olive oil
2 sweet corn cobs, kernels only
400g can white beans, rinsed and drained
3 tsp sherry vinegar
1.5 tsp salt
Chilli oil, dried chilli or fresh chilli, to serve
1. Place garlic and shallot in TM bowl, chop for 5 seconds, speed 5. Scrape down sides.
2. Add 20g olive oil, sauté for 5 minutes, 100°C, speed 1.
3. Add corn, butter beans, ice, remaining 80g olive oil, vinegar, salt, puree for 1 minute, speed 9, or until
4. smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Chilli is essential, but optional extras to serve include extra corn kernels, sour cream, yoghurt, coriander or a fresh lime wedge.