What better recipe for December than celebratory Christmas chutney? With the spicy flavours of ginger, allspice, cinnamon and cloves, this chutney is the perfect accompaniment to roast meats and cheese. Made with dried fruits, this recipe requires only 30 minutes cooking time, making it a delicious yet simple edible Christmas gift.
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and yields two cups of chutney. Make a bigger batch to gift small jars to friends and family as a zero-waste Christmas treat this year.
5cm knob ginger, peeled & grated
1 onion, peeled and halved
1 granny smith apple, quartered and cored
200g prunes pitted
200g dried apricots
200g dates pitted
150g apple cider vinegar
50g coconut sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
½ tsp cloves, ground
1. Grate ginger, place in food processor.
2. Grate onion and apple, add to bowl of food processor.
3. Add prunes, apricots and dates and process until combined, scraping down sides as needed.
4. Add apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, cinnamon and cloves, mix until combined.
5. Cook for 30 minutes on the stove on medium-low, stirring occasionally.
Store in refrigerator in airtight container or glass jar.
Serve with roasted meats, cheese or savoury pastries.
Share your Christmas creations with us on Instagram with #myTWC