Whip up a batch of gluten-free hot cross buns this Easter with this fantastic recipe using gut-healthy green banana flour.
1 cup Natural Evolution Green Banana Flour
½ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon powder
⅛ ground clove
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup mixed dried fruit
⅔ cup rice milk, or preferred milk
1 tsp xanthum gum
For cross: 1 egg white + 2-3 tbsp rice flour
1. Put all the dry ingredients together in a mixer and mix for 1-2 mins dry to bind them all evenly.
2. Add oil, milk, and egg.
3. Mix for 1-2 mins high speed. You should have a tacky batter, wet and smooth creamy texture. Ensure this, if not, add a splash of milk or water. Remember wetter is better.
4. Add mixed fruit and mix slowly to ensure you don’t damage them.
5. Oil a good size muffin tin and dust with Natural Evolution Green Banana Flour.
6. Add equal amounts to each muffin mould.
7. Smooth tops over with a wet spatula or back of a spoon.
8. Place in a preheated fan forced oven 180 degrees for 20-25min
9. While they bake prepare cross mix. Put one egg white in small bowl and add the rice flour whisk with a fork thoroughly until smooth and white. Place the mix in a pipe bag/similar to give a good application
10. Skewer test until there is a slight amount of mixture left on the skewer.
11. Take out of the oven and add crosses to the ¾ cooked buns place back in the oven for 5 mins to finish.
12. Remove and enjoy!
Visit Natural Evolution’s website to learn more about the benefits of green banana flour and Natural Evolution’s journey.
Share your healthy Easter creations with us on Instagram with #myTWC