If you’ve followed me for a while you’ll know I’m a mad fan of a loaf! Special thing about this loaf however is it’s so incredibly substantial, rich in nuts, veggies and olives to create a flavour bomb that’s a meal in itself.
This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and vegetarian.
150g raw walnuts
150g raw almonds
1 cup buckwheat groats
2 cups vegetable stock
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp thyme, chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 Spanish onions, peeled, and finely chopped
2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
¼ cup (40g) pitted Kalamata olives
¼ cup pepitas
½ teaspoon sea salt
Tomato relish ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
400g tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp coconut sugar
1 tsp oregano
Sea salt and black pepper
Fresh herbs or micro herbs to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place buckwheat and stock in a small to medium sized saucepan, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook to absorb all the liquid.
3. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Once cooled, place in a large mixing bowl with walnuts, almonds, eggs, thyme, celery, onion, rosemary, garlic, olives, pepitas, sea salt, and mix to combine.
4. Line a large loaf tin (15x22cm approximately) with greaseproof paper then place in oven to cook for 1 hour.
5. Cool in tin for 30 minutes, then remove from tin and allow to cool completely. While cooling, prepare the tomato relish to go on top.
6. Place olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add garlic and cook lightly for 1 minute, then add chopped tomatoes, paprika, coconut sugar and oregano.
7. Simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes to reduce the liquid.
8. When ready to serve the nut roast, spread the relish over the top of the roast, top with herbs to garnish and serve.
Jacqueline’s website, The Brown Paper Bag Nutrition, is loaded with healthy, wholefood recipes with a focus on plant-based eating as well as fabulous health, nutrition and lifestyle advice.
Share your delicious dinner creations with us on Instagram with #myTWC