Sick of standing over the stove flipping your pancakes? Try this amazing baked pancake batter recipe to create fluffy, delicious pancakes without the hassle!
This recipe serves 4-6
1-2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced very thinly
2-4 tablespoons of butter, ghee or coconut oil. Depending upon the size of your pan, you need a good covering of fat.
3 free-range or organic eggs
270ml of coconut milk
3 tablespoons of coconut sugar or rapadura
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 teaspoon of vanilla powder, extract or essence
1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ground (plus extra over the apple base)
½ teaspoon of sea salt
¼ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
180g (1½ cups) of almond meal/buckwheat flour. You can use straight almond meal, but I prefer it mixed roughly ⅔ (120g) almond meal and ⅓ (60g) buckwheat flour.
- Preheat your oven to 180℃.
- In an oven-proof pan (I used cast iron approx. 30cm) or non-stick baking dish, melt the butter so that it coats the base of the pan or dish well.
- Arrange the apples to cover the base of the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the apples and 1 tablespoon of the coconut sugar.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, milk, remaining sugar, vinegar, vanilla, cinnamon, sea salt, bicarbonate of soda and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Pour over the apple and bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the pancake is set in the middle.
- Turn out onto a plate, slice into pieces and enjoy with your favourite topping.
Replace the coconut sugar or rapadura with rice malt syrup and chose a low-fructose fruit (like blueberries).
Choose either ghee or coconut-oil to coat your pan and coconut milk for the batter.
Spelt and nut-free
You can directly replace the grain-free flour for spelt flour or whole-wheat flour if you’d prefer.
Entirely possible – replace the apple with sliced Beurre Bosc Pears and add a sprinkle of ginger powder over the fruit. Berries, banana or even pineapple is delicious.
Use a scoop of your favourite organic natural yoghurt, coconut yoghurt or cultured sour cream and your favourite syrup (or a berry coulis).