Once the sweet gingery aroma hits your nostrils, it will feel just like Christmas. The addition of lemon zest to these cookies will add a little zing to your step!
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 10 min Total Time: 20 min
2 cups Spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp – 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tbs ground ginger for milder spice flavour, up to 4 tbsp for strong spice flavour (how we love it)
½ tsp salt
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup of coconut sugar
¼ cup of maple syrup
1 large egg, well beaten
Zest of 1-2 lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line 2 trays with unbleached baking paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the melted butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, egg and lemon zest.
4. Pour butter and sugar mixture over the flour and mix together to form a dough. If the dough is too wet add a little more flour, if too dry add a little water.
5. Dust some flour over a clean and dry bench top. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1 cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes of approx 20 +cookies laying on pre-prepared baking paper.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until cookies slightly darken and become fragrant.
- Lunchbox friendly
Share your Christmas baking creations with us on Instagram with #myTWC