Drum roll, please… The secret ingredient in these delicious cupcakes is cannellini beans! Gluten-free gooeyness & a huge nutrition bump!
After perfecting a Choc Fudge Cake made on Red Kidney Beans (recipe here), I thought to myself ‘if red kidney beans work, then I wonder if other beans would too’. So I decided to take the Choc Fudge Cake recipe and replace the red kidney beans. I really didn’t want another chocolate cake for the lunch boxes, so I took out the cacao and put in some banana and apple.
After adding a bit of this and a bit of that, what I created was a banana apple cannellini bean cake/muffin. My chief taste tester is our daughter Indrani, I usually get her to name my creations. This one she named ‘Super Sweet Gooey Cake’. Super sweet and more gooey than normal because of the banana & apple. So here is how I make my lunchbox super sweet gooey cake.
This recipe makes roughly 15 individual cakes.
300g can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium banana, mashed
1 small apple grated
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons chia seeds
85g rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Prepare muffin tin.
2. Blend Cannellini beans, water, chia seeds, vanilla, and butter until smooth.
3. Add the banana and apple. Mix again.
4. Let it sit for about 5 minutes so chia absorbs some of the moisture
5. Add the remainder of the ingredients and blend again.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop mixture into muffin tip.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
Another 2 Ways With This Recipe
1. Add grated zucchini to the mix (squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini).
2. Add cacao or chocolate protein powder for a chocolate twist.
Find more healthy, wholefood, kid-friendly recipes on Bel’s website, The Root Cause.
Share your healthy lunchbox creations with us on Instagram with #myTWC!