This recipe is packed with delicious springtime flavours from fresh zucchinis, lemons, and parsley. Make it dairy-free by choosing a great dairy-free feta like Botanical Cuisines, or make your own at home with this great recipe!
This recipe is a total crowd pleaser, and served with a hearty side salad, this dish goes a long way, perfect for a family of four. Want to make it a bigger family meal? Just double the quantities. Simple!
1 small brown onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large red chilli, finely diced (use ¼ tsp chilli powder if fresh isn’t available to you)
2 small zucchinis, grated
Zest of 1 small lemon + ½ the juice
¼ c of almonds
250g spaghetti, or your favourite pasta shape
1 small handful of parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Dairy-free feta, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy based sauce pan.
3. Add onion and sautee on low-medium heat with a goof pinch of salt for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add chilli and garlic and sautee for a further minute.
5. Add zucchinis and saute for 5-8 minutes, stirring regularly, until zucchinis have reduced by about ⅓.
6. While sauteing zucchinis put a pot of water on to boil for the pasta, and cook as per pack instructions, minus a minute or two to ensure your pasta is el dente after the second stage of cooking, and place almonds on a tray in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Once zucchinis have cooked down, remove from the heat and set aside while you prepare the lemon zest and parsley for serving.
8. When the almonds have finished roasting, remove from the oven and roughly chop.
9. Drain the pasta, keeping about 2tbsp of the pasta water to the side, add pasta and cooking water it to the pan with the zucchini and return to a low heat.
10. Toss together the pasta and zucchini mixture in the pan until warmed through, then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and parsley, and toss together before serving. Season with salt & pepper, and taste to adjust.
Dish onto plates and top with your preferred feta and serve with a side salad. Pictured is Botanical Cuisine’s vegan feta.