This delicious simple flat bread recipe is my favourite kind of recipe – easy to make, AND versatile!
I love recipes you can use many ways. Like this Simple Flat Bread Recipe – it’s so versatile. This recipe will make you 4-6 flat breads, and here’s some ideas of how you can use them:
Use as a toast by cooking them under the griller and top them with avocado, tomato and cheese. Or cut them into soldiers for dunking into boiled eggs. If you want a fancy breakfast, serve them warm topped with some baby spinach, smashed avocado, tomato, and poached egg.
For the lunchbox
Cut them in half and fill them just like a sandwich. You can cook them in the oven, making them crispier and then cut them into triangles to be used as dunkers to go with dips, homemade baked beans, lentils etc. Or you can turn them into pizzas – see how to do this below.
Use these flat breads to go with meals like dahl or chick pea curry. This week we turned them into delicious pizzas for Fun Family Friday Night – our pizza and movie night.
Simple flat breads – freshly made and ready to use.
1. Mix flour, yeast and salt.
2. Make well in centre of the dry ingredients.
3. Mix in water and olive oil by stirring quickly with a fork.
4. Pour water into the well of the dry ingredients and stir through – this will form a sticky dough.
5. Sprinkle a small amount of flour over the top, then dust your hands with flour. Now knead this sticky dough for about 1 minute by just turning it around in the bowl – be prepared to get it all over your fingers.
6. Knead roughly for 1 min.
7. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let sit for 10 mins.
8. Split into 4-6 balls.
9. Sprinkle more flour onto your bench and then take one ball, and roll it out into a flat circle. Do this for the other balls BUT do not stack the flat breads on top of each other or they will stick together.
10. Heat frying pan over high heat.
11. Dry cook 1 minute each side – if start to burn, turn down eat.
Turn Your Flat Bread Into Pizza Bases.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Cook Flat Breads in oven for about 7 minutes each side.
3. They are now ready to be topped, then cooked in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Storing / Freezing
Cook the flat breads and allow to cool. Then place a sheet of baking paper between each one, then wrap in foil or pop in an airtight container. Store in freezer. Defrost before using.
Story behind this recipe
We have a family ritual called Fun Family Friday Night where the kids choose a ‘fun’ meal for us to have (i.e. not the usual meal with vegetables being the main feature) and a movie to watch. Homemade Pizza is always a favourite. These flat breads are a simple way to make pizza bases. I usually make my passata so it has veggies smashed up in it, so we’re still getting veggies and then kids choose their topping.
Just a reminder, you don’t need to be a master chef, or have a big spotless kitchen to make awesome nutritious meals or snacks for your family.
Find more healthy, wholefood, kid-friendly recipes on Bel’s website, The Root Cause.