Even when getting your 5 serves a day it can never hurt to sneak in some extras here and there. Hiding veggies in a lunch box treat is a sure fire way to make sure your kids are getting theirs too. Here is some inspiration from the Summer Hill Pantry test kitchens on how to create delicious and even healthier wholefood cakes and muffins by added some veggies!
Lemon Coconut Zucchini Loaf
400g Summer Hill Pantry Coconut Cake Mix
½ cup oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 large zucchini grated (about 200g), with excess water, squeezed out
1 tablespoon freeze-dried blueberries (optional)
1. Grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Follow the packet instructions on your Summer Hill Pantry coconut cake mix.
3. After mixing together your wet ingredients and your cake mix, fold in the lemon juice and zest, grated zucchini and blueberries if using.
4. Transfer to pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool and drizzle with cream cheese glaze
Cream Cheese Glaze
100g Cream cheese1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Beat the cream cheese and sugar together for 2 minutes.
2. Scrape down the sides, add the lemon juice and beat for a further minute.
Makes 12 individual cup cakes or 20cm cake.
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Fill cupcake pan with paper patty pans or line and grease a 20cm round tin.
3. Coat carrot with half the oil and set aside. Combine yoghurt, remaining oil and eggs in a bowl and beat or whisk until small bubbles form – about 60 seconds.
4. After mixing together your wet ingredients and your cake mix, fold in the grated carrot and pecans.
5. Transfer to pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Basic carrot cake (above), plus:
150g Cream cheese
½ cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Cook cake according to Basic Carrot Cake recipe – remembering to add the spice blend when mixing!
2. Prepare the icing by beating the cream cheese and sugar together for 2 minutes.
3. Scrape down the sides, add the lemon juice and beat for a further minute.
4. Allow cake to cool completely and top with Cream Cheese icing and a sprinkle of Summer Hill Pantry Sprinkles!
Chocolate Beetroot Muffins
400g Summer Hill Pantry Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup milk of your choice
½ cup oil (melted coconut oil gives a fudgey brownie like cake)
200g grated raw beetroot, excess liquid squeezed out
100g roughly chopped dark chocolate
1. Follow the packet instructions on your Summer Hill Pantry cake mix.
2. After mixing together your wet ingredients and your cake mix, fold in the grated beetroot and chocolate.
3. Transfer to pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
We want to hear about how you sneak veggies past your vegetable detectives! Pop in a comment below or tag us in your methods on Instagram with #myTWC!