Mother Nature helps us keep toasty in the colder months with the aid of warming spices like ginger and cinnamon, which not only nurture our bodies but also make a perfect flavouring for Autumnal and winter produce like pears.
In this recipe, a humble crumble is elevated by the combination of fresh, in-season pears, with the warming spices and the buttery, oat topping. This unpretentious dish bursting with flavour and at the same time, calm the soul.
Enjoy warm or cold for breakfast or dessert with cream, ice-cream and/or custard.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 50 min
5 just-ripe pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon peeled and freshly grated ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
¾ cup wholemeal flour
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup ground almonds or desiccated coconut
⅓ cup rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Butter a 20cm x 25cm baking tray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, ground almonds or desiccated coconut, sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter
3. Rub the butter into the mixture until it’s a bit clumpy (get the kids involved!)
4. Combine the sliced pear, lemon juice and ginger in the baking tin and sprinkle the crumble topping over the pears.
5. Bake crumble until the pears are tender and the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
6. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Check out more fantastic recipes, online courses and wellness blogs on Brenda’s website.