In this cake I use the entire orange, peel, juice and pulp. It’s so zesty and delicious and easy to make.
This Flourless Orange Almond cake is gluten-free and refined sugar-free, it’s moist and delicious and a real crowd pleaser. I also threw a carrot in for some extra goodness, gotta love a sneaky veg!
It’s perfect to eat at any time of day but we’ve been enjoying it with a dollop of cream after dinner whilst watching Stranger Things with the family. It would be perfect served with a cup of tea when having a friend drop in is no longer a thing of the past!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
1 orange, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium carrot
125 grams unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar, I used rapadura sugar (the cake isn’t overly sweet so add an extra 1/4 sugar if you think your family will prefer)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 cups almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
2. Grease and line the base and sides of a 22cm round spring-form cake pan.
3. Place orange and carrot in food processor and process until finely chopped (thermie speed 8 for 20 seconds)
4. Add butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Process until well combined. (thermie SP5/15 seconds) Add almond meal, baking powder, spices and salt. Process until well combined.(thermie SP5/15 seconds).
5. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, spinning half way.
6. Cover with foil and continue cooking if the top browns too quickly.
7. Cool in pan for 30 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
8. Slice and serve.